The Plunkett Foundation News
Celebrate Community Co-operatives Fortnight: 20 June - 4 July
This year we’re expanding the remit of the Community Shops Fortnight to include ALL community co-operatives! We want to celebrate the difference that all models of community co-operatives make in their community by overcoming the issues that they are facing co-operatively.
Community Co-operatives Fortnight is an opportunity for enterprises to celebrate with all the people that have contributed to their success and say a big thank you to their volunteers, supporters, users or customers. It’s also really important to show other communities what can be achieved, giving them the confidence to do the same. So whether you’re a co-operative pub, cafe or bakery, a community shop, farm or broadband project we want you to be part of Community Co-operatives Fortnight!
To help you celebrate we’ve created a media pack to help you raise your profile at a local, regional and national level. In previous years, community shops have also used the Fortnight as a reason to hold a party for volunteers, to host a local food market and to promote themselves to new customers. For example, last year:
- Twyford community shop in Buckinghamshire moved into their new premises
- Lythe Stores in Whitby officially opened their doors
- Thorncombe in Dorset celebrated with local customers and volunteers
- Siop Gymunedowl Dryslwyn in Carmarthen held a local food tasting event
We have a dedicated blog throughout Community Co-operatives Fortnight – if you’re celebrating make sure you send us your photos and a brief overview of what you’ve been up to, and we’ll promote it for you. You can see stories from the past three years on the blog at https://communityshopsfortnight.wordpress.com/
Activities during Community Co-operative Fortnight:
- 25 June - Plunkett Foundation National Networking and Training Event plus AGM
- 25 June – Plunkett Foundation Community Co-operative Awards Ceremony
- 25 June – Plunkett Foundation’s Better Business Report on the community shop and co-operative pub sector launched
- 27 June - Hampstead Norreys Community Shop Food Fayre
For more information, contact Hannah Barrett by emailing [email protected]